Yoga for All: Healing Justice Immersion
Time & Location
About The Event
A FREE weekend event in Albuquerque exploring Yoga Access, Culture Shift, Solidarity, Representation, and Transformative Practice!
Come connect, practice yoga, expand your horizon! For all levels, all folks.
Never tried yoga?? Come! Want to practice more, but have second thoughts about showing up, like, yoga is too white, too expensive, etc? Do you want to explore the overlap of yoga practice and social justice? This event is for you!
This is a collaborative exploration of what a yoga community and practice can look like that is truly "Yoga for All." Rather than assimilation into mainstream "yoga" culture, how can the space be re-centered to embrace the experience, needs and wisdom of our whole Albuquerque community? This weekend is the start of a conversation, exploration, and transformation, within ourselves and in the world.
Yoga is an ancient embodied spiritual practice from the Indu Valley of India, and while its practice has become far reaching and brought real and profound benefit to many, systemic racism, settler colonialism, heteropatriarchy, and consumer capitalism have had a huge effect on who feels welcome and has access to yoga, and how yoga is defined and consumed. Ahimsa (non-violence), deconditioning the mind, and liberation are foundational to yoga. Healing and justice go hand in hand.
This event seeks to center queer, trans, black, brown, poor, big-bodied, and disabled folks in the yoga environment, while helping all attendees discover new terrain and inspiration for locating themselves within the conversation of privilege, systemic oppression, healing, and embodied transformation.
Featuring an amazing array of collaborators:
- Haley Laughter - Indigenous Yoga by Hozho Total Wellness
- Raphael Sierra Yoga Flow Healing en Espaol
- Nikesha Breeze and Zhen Dao with MogaDao’s Queer Sexuality Qigong and Yoga
- Avery Kalapa and Leon Osito from Abq Queer Trans Yoga
- Abby Foster with Curvy Yoga
- Farah Nousheen from Yoga for People of Color for Healing and Empowerment
- Adrien from NM Transgender Resource Center teaching Trans 101
- Jen Tucker from Embodying Antiracism
Locations: High Desert Yoga, Albuquerque Insight Meditation Center, Sister Bar and Bhava Yoga Studio
ALL REGULAR CLASSES during the 3 days of the Event at High Desert Yoga are FREE to Queer, Trans, BIPOC, low income, and big-bodied folks! Check the schedule to see which will suit your needs best.
**All events located at High Desert Yoga unless otherwise noted:**
Friday May 10:
- 3:30pm Opening Circle and Land Acknowledgment @ High Desert Yoga
- 4:30-5:30 Yoga class with Haley Laughter of Hozho Total Wellness, open to all @ High Desert Yoga
- 5:30-8pm POC Meditation Gathering and Potluck. For POC only. @ Abq Insight Meditation Center
- 5:45-8pm Ahimsa in Action: Community Session on Spiritual Bypassing and Decentering Whiteness in the Yoga Space, facilitated by Jen Tucker. For all community, especially Teachers/ Studio Owners and those who already feel comfortable in yoga spaces. Snacks provided. @ High Desert Yoga
Saturday May 11:
- 11:30-12:30 Yoga Flow Healing class en Espanol with Raphael Sierra @ High Desert Yoga
- 1-2:45 Trans 101 with Adrien Lawyer from Transgender Resource Center of New Mexico - open to all, yoga teachers, don't miss this great opportunity! @ High Desert Yoga
- 3-3:30 Big Body yoga mini-class with Abby Foster (open to all genders) @ High Desert Yoga
- 3:45-4:15 YOGA DEMO: inspiring and artistic! Highlighting our featured collaborators: come wash your preconceptions of what yoga "looks" like. @ High Desert Yoga
- 4:30-6:30 SPEAKER PANEL - Don't miss this highlight of the weekend -- hear from essential voices on crucial issues. Live streamed! @ High Desert Yoga
- 6:30-8pm FEAST! Blue corn Indian tacos, handmade tamales with all the fancy fixings - beans, calabacitas, avocado crema, pomegranate cabbage, greens, fruit YUM meat, veg, vegan, and gluten free options... provided by Cleo's Blue Corn Kitchen @ High Desert Yoga
Sunday May 12:
9-10:30 MogaDao Class cotaught by Nikesha Breeze and Zhen Dao. Open to all! @ High Desert Yoga
11:15-12:45 Restorative Yoga (super accessible, for all) with Yoga with Avery @ High Desert Yoga
3-6pm SNAP Tea Dance - A special celebration of guided and free form dance, inclusive, body positive, freaky and fresh; kids welcome when a parents is in attendance! @ Sister Bar
6:30-8 POC Yoga, join the weekly gathering. For self identified POC only. @ Bhava Yoga Studio
Registering will get you a chance to win a $25.00 cash :D Preregistration is not required but will help us get more funding to do cool stuff in the future!
A fundraiser for POC Yoga and QTCY.
Free for queer trans low income BIPOC and big bodied folks, for those who can please donate generously! Suggested donation for the weekend is $50-$100.
THANKS for helping us spread the word!
More info available at qtcy.org.
The following Tuesday Evenings, 7:30–9:00 PM
May 7, 2019
June 4, 2018
July 2, 2019
August 6, 2019
September 3, 2019
October 1, 2019
November 5, 2019
December 3, 2019
This is a fundraiser for POC Yoga and QTCY.
Free for queer, trans, low income, BIPOC, and big bodied folks.
For those who can please donate generously! Suggested donation for the weekend is $50-$100.