The System of Yoga with Kim Schwartz
A concise and practical overview into the system and practice of yoga, interweaving yoga philosophy and asana.
Time & Location
Jul 13, 2018, 6:00 PM – Jul 15, 2018, 6:00 PM
High Desert Yoga, 4600 Copper Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
About The Event
This workshop will offer a concise and practical overview into the system and practice of yoga. The structure of the workshop will be based on a classical text written by the sage Patanjali. Each class will begin with a lecture on some aspect of yoga philosophy that will be followed with foundational information on the types of asanas shown. As the classes are sequential and progressive, it is recommended that students attend the entire workshop.
Topics for this workshop:
- The How and Why of Yoga: the connection of mind and body along with the rationale behind yoga methodology.
- The Breath: Explore the fundamentals of the breath and begin to remove obstacles to the breath and optimize its function. We will also begin to gain awareness of how the breath affects and is affected by the mind.
- Vrttis: the various methods of perception available to the mind. Through knowledge of the vrttis we can better understand how we organize our view of the world and our life within it.
- Standing Asanas: the foundation for all of the other asanas.
- Kleshas: the obstacles to managing the vrttis. Here we can learn how to embrace and transcend these obstacles.
- Forward Bends: building upon the stability created in the standing asanas so that we can mobilize the back body.
- Yama: an overview of the life actions that have the greatest causal repercussions and offer thoughts on how to develop a harmonious relationship with them.
- Backbends: the primary aspects of opening the front body.
- Niyama: an overview of the actions that will create the most benefits and insights in life.
- Inversions: All of the previous work with asanas offers the foundations that make inverted asanas accessible and beneficial.
Kim Schwartz was introduced to eastern philosophy as a child and began studying yoga at age 18. In 1981 he met his Guru and began more formal studies in the yoga sutrasand other aspects of yoga philosophy. Around that time he was also introduced to the Iyengar system of asana practice. In 1985 he was certi ed to teach yoga through the Temple of Kriya yoga. He was ordained a Swami in the Kriya lineage in 1986. He has taught ongoing yoga classes, teachers training programs, and workshops here and abroad since that time. He is registered with Yoga Alliance as an E-RYT 500. Though asana and pranayama have become primary disciplines, the philosophy of yoga is still at the heart of his practice and teaching.
Friday, July 13 6:00–8:00 PM
Saturday, July 14 1:30–5:45 PM
Sunday, July 15 1:30–5:45 PM
$130 (plus tax) pre-registered by June 26
$145 (plus tax) after June 26
* Ticket price includes 7.875% NM gross receipts tax and 2.9% PayPal transaction fee.
System of Yoga pre-registered
Ticket price includes 7.5% NM gross receipts tax and 2.9% PayPal transaction fee.$160.95