Fri, Apr 12|
High Desert Yoga
Senior Yoga Teacher Training with Nishtha Jane Kappy
An exploration of yoga practices and teaching to improve quality of life for elder students.
Time & Location
Apr 12, 2019, 1:00 PM – Apr 14, 2019, 6:00 PM
High Desert Yoga, 4600 Copper Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
About The Event
Senior Yoga Teacher Training
This 15-hour highly-interactive weekend intensive is for anyone seeking to understand the needs of senior yoga students. Through group activity and inquiry, students will explore methods for practicing and teaching yogasana (poses) to minimize current symptoms, prevent further complications, and improve quality of life. Much of the content of this workshop is applicable to other populations who require modification of traditional yoga poses.
This workshop includes:
• The importance of spinal alignment and posture
• Facilitating greater body awareness
• Breathing practices and the role of the breath in practice
• Adapting and assisting asana for seniors (and others with challenges)
• Sequencing the Senior Yoga class
• Common health conditions from western and Ayurvedic perspectives
• Psychosocial issues affecting lifestyle, functionality, and teaching considerations
• Ethics from a yogic perspective (yama and niyama) as applied to working with seniors
In addition, upon completion of this training, qualified yoga teachers may enroll in the 12-week home study program to receive the HDY Senior Yoga Teacher Certification.
Nishtha Jane Kappy, E-RYT500, has been exploring yoga and movement practices for 4 decades and began teaching yoga in 2010. She is certified as a Senior Yoga Teacher through High Desert Yoga and teaches senior yoga and beginning and intermediate classes for the general population. After 20 years of massage therapy practice, Nishtha brings to her teaching a hands-on knowledge and curiosity about human anatomy with a focus on internal organization and body awareness.
Friday–Sunday, April 12–14, 2019
Senior Yoga Certification is available for those who meet the following requirements:
- Graduate of a Yoga Teacher Training Program of at least 200 hours
- Completion of the HDY Senior Yoga Teacher Training workshop
- Enrollment in and completion of the 12-week home study Senior Yoga Certification project
- Payment of $75* non-refundable fee, in-studio registration only.
Senior Yoga Teacher Training
$215 (plus tax) pre-registered by March 29, 2019
$230 (plus tax) after March 29
Discount for those enrolled in the 2018 or 2019 High Desert Yoga teacher trainings, or those who have completed a previous High Desert Yoga Senior Immersion or Teacher Training: $185 (plus tax) pre-registered by March 29; $200 (plus tax) after March 29. In-studio or phone (505.238.8845) registration only.
* Ticket prices include 7.875% NM gross receipts tax and 2.9% PayPal transaction fee.
Senior Teacher Training
Includes 7.875% NM gross receipts tax and 2.9% PayPal transaction fee.