Senior Yoga Teacher Training
This 15-hour highly-interactive weekend intensive is for anyone seeking to understand the needs of senior yoga students. Through group activity and inquiry, students will explore methods for practicing and teaching yogasana (poses) to minimize current symptoms, prevent further complications, and improve quality of life. Much of the content of this workshop is applicable to other populations who require modification of traditional yoga poses.
This workshop includes:
• The importance of spinal alignment and posture
• Facilitating greater body awareness
• Breathing practices and the role of the breath in practice
• Adapting and assisting asana for seniors (and others with challenges)
• Sequencing the Senior Yoga class
• Common health conditions from western and Ayurvedic perspectives
• Psychosocial issues affecting lifestyle, functionality, and teaching considerations
• Ethics from a yogic perspective (yama and niyama) as applied to working with seniors
In addition, upon completion of this training, qualified yoga teachers may enroll in the 12-week home study program to receive the HDY Senior Yoga Teacher Certification.
The next Senior Yoga Teacher Training (March 27–29, 2020) has been postponed until further notice.
HDY Senior Yoga Teacher Certification
Those who have completed a 200 hour (or more) yoga teacher training and the Senior Yoga Teacher Training may elect to complete Senior Yoga Teacher Certification project. The project consists of writing a short summary of considerations for teaching yoga to seniors, logging personal practice, and giving private sessions to seniors including photographs and brief summaries of the sessions. This is a 12-week home study project that requires a minimum of 20 hours. The cost for the program is $75 + tax, payable at the end of the Senior Teacher Training before embarking on the certification project.