Senior Yoga Immersion and Training
Part One and Part Two
Part 1: The Essentials
This training is appropriate for all teachers, students, and professionals who work with seniors. As we look at the common health conditions of the elder population, we’ll explore methods for teaching yoga asana to help minimize current symptoms, prevent further complications, and and improve quality of life.
The following topics are included:
• Spinal alignment and posture
• Breathing practices and the role of the breath in practice
• Common diseases and conditions with emphasis on musculoskeletal disorders such as arthritis, joint replacement, back pain
• Conditions associated with cardiac, respiratory, endocrine and nervous systems
• Psychosocial issues affecting life style and functionality
• Ethics from a yogic perspective (yama and niyama) as applied to working with seniors
Part 1 will be offered February 10-12, 2017. Register here.
Part 2: Certification Class
This training is specifically designed for graduates of a Yoga Teacher Training program who wish to deepen their understanding of the needs of senior students or who intend to teach yoga asana to the senior population. Building on knowledge and skills from Part 1, the certification process includes homework project requiring a minimum of 12-15 hours.
Topics for this training include:
• Asana, adaptation, assists and sequencing the Senior Yoga class
• Chair yoga class for the student with dementia
• Special situations
• Co-teaching asana to students from the community
• Discussion of certification homework project
Prerequisites: Senior Yoga Teacher Training, Part 1; certification project to be completed in the time period between the Part 1 and Part 2.
Part 2 will be offered June 9-11, 2017. Register here.
For more information: 505-238-8845 (Nishtha)
Senior TT faculty
Senior Yoga Immersion and Training Faculty:
Nishtha Jane Kappy E-RYT500, LMT brings 20 years of massage therapy experience to her yoga teaching and therapeutics practice. Nishtha's fascination with anatomy and alignment fundamentals informs her teaching of senior yoga, as well as beginner and intermediate level classes at High Desert Yoga. (NM LMT #2468)